Friday, July 2, 2010

Sunflowers

It's summertime and I just absolutely love this time of year.  I don't know if it's the flower business that forces me to take a look around at nature or if it's the right amount of rainfall this year, but, there are a lot of beautiful flowers growing everywhere!!  I am grateful for this because the most I've ever seen flowers is at the street corner markets in New York (when I vacationed there last June).  Out in New York, they just get every kind of flower there from peonies to gerbera daisies to dogwoods, sweet peas to a full array of hydrangeas.  Over here in California it's sad!  We get roses, babies' breath, daisies, maybe calla lilies, and trumpet lilies.  In the spring time, at least we got easter lilies and tulips but that's it in the flower market!  Around my area we get nice things like oriental poppies, California poppies and a bush of hydrangeas here and there.  One flower that's always around but always makes me smile here in California is the sunflower.  It's like a typical Californian; always looking into the sun, is big and boisterous with a big brown center that mimics a typical Californian's sunglasses.  A friend from Texas owns The Flying Pig Baking Co. where she makes cheesecake wedding cakes.  She likes sunflowers so I've made a few for her.  This is what I came up with.

Here is a picture of one of her cheesecakes:  Just pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Click photo to return to Etsy Shop: Sweet Petal Bakery